My American Home
I live with YY, who has lived in America for 10 years, but originally is from China, and Jay, who also has lived here for about 10 years. He is originally from Malaysia. They have another student staying with them called Ruri, pronounced Luli, from Japan. She has been here for 2 weeks longer than me, and is going to be here until March 2011. We live in a small house in the surburb Lynnwood. I have about 10 min to school by buss, so I don't have to spend as much of my time on transportation as in Denmark.
| My home in Lynnwood |
| My home in Lynnwood |
![]() |
| My host family |
They are all really nice people. But they don't have that much time on hand to take me around the area, so i haven't really explored the surroundings besides Alderwood mall. I have to depend on my friends and explore this new world together with them. But I don't mind. For me this whole experience is also about making even stronger bonds among everyone from the class.
YY and Jay are very busy doing their own things, so that makes it harder to incorporate being a host-family into their lives. But they sure are some nice people and they let me do pretty much what i want to. They understand what it's like to be young, they are only 26 and 29, and they know that both their and my time is limited. They don't have many boundarries but they do have one, I can't bring friends over, which i have a hard time finding understanding for. But in their house I will respect their rules.
They do cook very delicious food for me. Everything is pretty much Asian. I have been having a hard time eating without a knife though. But finally they have bought me one, so eating every dish won't be a challenge for me.
As long as they give me all my freedom and good me great food i won't complain.
These are some pictures from around the house...
| The hall |
| The small kitchen |
| The living room |
| The huge television |
| My desk |
| My big bed |
Week 1 recap
The entire class went to Seattle to explore the surroundings. We all went to the Space Needle (the trademark of Seattle) and the infamous gum wall (another trademark of Seattle).
| The Space Needle |
I was kind of nervous going up to the very top of the Space Needle. The elevator is on the outside of the building and is made of glass, so you could se everything while leaving the solid ground. Probably a beautiful sight for everyone else but me. But the sight from the top of the building was amazing. You could see all around Seattle in a 360° view.
Here are some pictures from downtown Seattle...
| Downtown Seattle. View from Space Needle |
| View from Space Needle |
| Downtown |
| Cathrine and I in front of the gum wall |
School Recap
Being in Seattle is almost like being on vacation. We have so much more spare time, and after school we can actually have a life that doesn't involve multiple hours of homework and school assignments. Even though we do have homework we can use the tutoring sessions in the morning to finish them, and give us self some extra time to spend in the afternoon. I really love the school here, since it allows me to finally have a little freedom.
Even though I like going to college here I think that they haven't been organizing this whole program very well. There are to many misunderstandings and there has been lacking to much communication between teachers prior to our trip. I hope that's something they can improved for next year's program.
I look forward to the next few weeks to see where this experience will take me.
Simone

WOw... that was A LOT in one blog! :-)
SvarSletIt sounds like you have an awesome attitude about everything and are adjusting really well--especially with your host family. Not all families are able to give so much free time to their international students, so that is where your buddies from 2Y come in! What an incredible bonding experience these 2 months will be for you guys!
I am really glad that you have received a knife for dinner! :-) I know how hard it is for TO EAT with a knife so I am sure it is just as hard NOT TO EAT with one! Just remember...if you need something, ASK! You deserve to have this experience to be as wonderful as possible.
As far as the disorganization at ECC, we are aware of it, and working on it every day. Hopefully each day it will feel a bit more organized as everyone is communicating more and more.